Dawat Independent Media Center (DIMC)
All about Afghanistan - Dawat Voice of New Afghanistan- dawatmedia@gmail.com   
Home FAQ RSS Links Site Map Contact
 
..:: Hot News:    
All News
News
Articles
Afghanistan
Pashtu and Pashtoons
Poems
Books
News Photos
Your comments
Pictures
Dawat and Contact
DAWAT TV

Newsletter
Your Name:
Your Email:
Submit

 
News 
All 10 killed in US-led airstrike were civilians, Afghan panel says
Saturday, 02.16.2013, 10:03pm (GMT+1)

All 10 killed in US-led airstrike 
were civilians, Afghan panel says

Press TV
February 16, 2013

An Afghan fact-finding committee has accused US-led foreign forces of killing ten civilians in a recent airstrike in eastern Afghanistan.

In a report issued on Friday, the committee said that the victims were five children, four women and a man, who was an Afghan government official.

Five children were also injured in the airstrike.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai had tasked the panel with investigating the airstrike, which took place on Tuesday in the eastern province of Kunar.

On Thursday, Karzai summoned General Joseph Dunford, the new commander of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan, over the killings.

According to a government statement, Dunford, who replaced General John Allen on Sunday, was called in "for explanations" to the Afghan presidential palace following the airstrike.

"Pointing to a commitment Gen. Allen had previously made not to conduct any airstrike or bombing in residential areas, President Karzai reminded that such incidents must strictly be avoided in future and any recurrence is not acceptable," the statement said.

Dunford "expressed his personal condolences for any civilians who may have died or been injured as a result of the operation," the statement added.

The rise in civilian casualties in NATO attacks has strained relations between Karzai and his Western allies, who are under increasing pressure at home over the unpopular war.

The US-led war in Afghanistan began in October 2001. The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but insecurity continues to rise across the country despite the presence of about 100,000 foreign forces.

The United Nations announced in February 2012 that 2011 was the deadliest year on record for Afghan civilians. The death toll rose eight percent compared to the year before and was roughly double the figure for 2007.


Comments (0)        Print        Tell friend        Top


Other Articles:
. Hamid Karzai swaps Kabul fortress for Claridge's finery (10.02.2013)
. US admits to imprisoning Afghan children (05.01.2013)
. Prince Harry is a 'jackal' killing innocents, says feared Afghanistan warlord (02.01.2013)
. Pullout of NATO forces could badly hit Afghan construction industry (18.12.2012)
. Afghan Film Star Found Dead After Kidnapping (18.12.2012)
. Afghan Official Says 10 Girls Killed In Blast (17.12.2012)
. Grossman Pledges Continued US Support to Afghanistan, Pakistan (14.12.2012)
. UN reports 28% increase in Afghan civilian casualties (14.12.2012)
. Afghan president will meet with Obama in Washington next month, Panetta says (14.12.2012)
. Khanshin cries foruplift schemes (14.12.2012)



 
Events
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    
July 2014

Advertisement

Hot News
Ghani won Afghan presidential runoff, preliminary results indicate
Fikr wa Amal Jirga wants results declared
Afghan Presidential Candidate Rules Out Coalition Deal
The absolute winner of 2014 Afghan elections
Supporters of Abdullah kills 2 backers of Ghani in Jalalabad
Hamid Gul says Abdullah best hope for Afghan peace
17. May is Norways national day- Video

Search