Dawat Independent Media Center (DIMC)
All about Afghanistan - Dawat Voice of New Afghanistan- dawatmedia@gmail.com   
Home FAQ RSS Links Site Map Contact
 
..:: Hot News:    
All News
News
Articles
Afghanistan
Pashtu and Pashtoons
Poems
Books
News Photos
Your comments
Pictures
Dawat and Contact
DAWAT TV

Newsletter
Your Name:
Your Email:
Submit

 
News 
Afghan forces ready to secure country after 2014: president
Saturday, 02.16.2013, 10:05pm (GMT+1)


KABUL, Feb. 16 (Xinhua) -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai reiterated Saturday that the Afghan security forces are entirely ready to ensure national security after NATO-led forces withdraw from the country by the end of 2014.

"Once the foreigners leave, Afghans will demonstrate to the world that they are able to secure the country and provide security for the nations," Karzai said in his speech delivered at an army officers's gathering at Afghan National Military Academy.

"Our national security forces are entirely ready to take security charge by the end of 2014," Karzai said. "Afghans do not need foreign forces for the defense of their country."

Transition of security responsibilities from NATO-led forces to Afghan army and police began in mid-2011 and lasts till 2014 when Afghanistan is due to take over its full security duties from U.S. and NATO-led forces.

Currently there are about 100,000-strong foreign forces, with nearly 66,000 of them Americans in the country.

Under the U.S. President Barack Obama's withdrawal plan 33,000 U.S. troops already pulled out of Afghanistan in September last year and another 34,000 will return home within one year.

The Afghan leader also called on Taliban and other insurgent groups to renounce violence and join the government-initiated peace and reconciliation process.

The Taliban, whose regime was ousted by a U.S.-led invasion in late 2001, has renewed armed insurgency since then, staging roadside and suicide bomb attacks, killing combatants as well as civilians.

However, the Taliban has repeatedly turned down government's offer for peace talks, saying there will be no dialogue with the government in the presence of foreign troops in the country.

According to Karzai, even if the NATO-led forces leave Afghanistan, international financial support for the war-ravaged country will stay.

During an international aid conference in Japan in July last year, the donor countries pledged more than 16 billion U.S. dollars in development aid for Afghanistan through 2015.

The U.S. and its NATO allies also promised almost the same amount to support Afghan army and police after pullout of their troops.


Comments (0)        Print        Tell friend        Top


Other Articles:
. All 10 killed in US-led airstrike were civilians, Afghan panel says (16.02.2013)
. Hamid Karzai swaps Kabul fortress for Claridge's finery (10.02.2013)
. US admits to imprisoning Afghan children (05.01.2013)
. Prince Harry is a 'jackal' killing innocents, says feared Afghanistan warlord (02.01.2013)
. Pullout of NATO forces could badly hit Afghan construction industry (18.12.2012)
. Afghan Film Star Found Dead After Kidnapping (18.12.2012)
. Afghan Official Says 10 Girls Killed In Blast (17.12.2012)
. Grossman Pledges Continued US Support to Afghanistan, Pakistan (14.12.2012)
. UN reports 28% increase in Afghan civilian casualties (14.12.2012)
. Afghan president will meet with Obama in Washington next month, Panetta says (14.12.2012)



 
Events
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
September 2014

Advertisement

Hot News
Civilians affected by Military operation in Northeast of Afghanistan /By: Humayoon Babur
Taliban minister thrown out of Norway in secret
Ghani won Afghan presidential runoff, preliminary results indicate
Fikr wa Amal Jirga wants results declared
Afghan Presidential Candidate Rules Out Coalition Deal
The absolute winner of 2014 Afghan elections
Supporters of Abdullah kills 2 backers of Ghani in Jalalabad

Search